Nope

On 07.01.21 18:05, Guenther Alka wrote:
Please ignore my lack of knowledge if I am not correct or simplify too much.

As far as I know kayak is a tool to setup OmniOS. I do not use. I download either the OI or OmniOS installer, create a bootable dvd or USB stick from it and install the OS. When I use the OI text installer the result is quite identical to a OmniOS default setup.

The installer is kayak on OmniOS. On OpenIndiana it is slim_cd whcih is the OpenSolaris one.

would this work and gives you the current OI user experience on top of a stable OmniOS base?

Nope. That would give you a package dependency hell. No package would be installable, as they are all built against different dependency version.

What you want is to make a OmniOS extra respoitory (git) with GUi packages. That would factually mean abandoning OI and the Goal of a General Purpose OS. That would be an acquisition not a merger.

-Till