‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Friday, March 5, 2021 10:14 AM, Reginald Beardsley via openindiana-discuss
<openindiana-discuss@openindiana.org> wrote:

> Two different builds labeled as "OpenIndiana Hipster 2020.10"? Please excuse
> me, but my hair is on fire!!!
>
> This is INSANE!!!!!
>
> Dad was a NY PE, but we wound up in Arkansas so he could speculate on real
> estate with a restaurant to tide us over. Despite Dad's sole qualification
> for owning a restaurant being 6 weeks as mess officer in the Navy during WW
> II, Mom made a go of it and did a cooking show on the CBS affiliate noon time
> variety show in Little Rock for 9 years from about 1965 to 1974. She
> outlasted 3 hosts. Dad could boil water for tea.
>
> The surest way to destroy a restaurant is to have several celebrity (at least
> in their own minds) chefs who cook every dish differently! There are many
> restaurants which serve horrible food, but it is absolutely consistent. If
> they can keep going for 2-3 years they will build up a trade that likes it no
> matter how bad it is.
>
> If OI puts out releases which are different, but identically labeled and
> might or might not work, no one but a complete masochist will stick around!
> The end result is the "developers" will be the only users. A rather sad
> outcome.
>
> I have run OI since at least 151 and I think earlier as there was still a lot
> of confusion with Nevada when I started. If anyone cares I shall let them
> look through the mailing list. I don't care about when I started.
>
> I care about when I stop using OI. I'd like that to be when I die. But there
> are some serious changes in release management procedures that need to be
> made or I'm likely to stop by the end of the year.
>
> I am willing and able to do the work with a good track record doing it.
> Building and distributing X11R4 and Motif 1.2 for anything and everything
> from workstations to supercomputers is not for the faint of heart. There's a
> good reason the O'Reilly imake manual has a snake on the cover!
>
> So let's get to doing it! If you make me do searches to try to figure out
> what's going on, I shall simply wander off shaking my head. If you
> communicate with me, I'll get it done to as high a standard as exists. I have
> had a rule for most of my life of: "I'll do it to my standards unless yours
> are better. Otherwise, I won't do it at all." And it I have to do it 3 times
> to get it to that standard, I do it. And triple booting a laptop with
> Windows, Linux and Solaris took 12!
>
> Reg
>
> On Thursday, March 4, 2021, 04:00:47 PM CST, russell
> str...@willows7.myzen.co.uk wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> This evening I updated to the latest Hipster release and as normal I
> always create a new BE "pkg update -v --be-name oihipster-20210304" and
> reported as "OpenIndiana Hipster 2020.10 Version illumos-f2db47a16a 64-bit"
> After completing the update and rebooting, my desktop started with the
> new OI and as normal Lightdm failed to start first time around but
> [...]

I think you are misunderstood here. There is just one Hipster 20.10, but the
Illumos version string different, isn't it? OI just ship an updated
illumos-gate version. This doesn't make there is another Hipster 20.10 builds.
BTW, Hipster 20.10 is just a name, it's rolling release anyway.

BTW, why you consider using OI for your server from the beginning? Because you
think it's the logical successor to OpenSolaris, a server with a GUI? Do you
really need a GUI? Please don't give up on Illumos yet. There is OmniOS with a
LTS version. There is also DilOS which seems to be LTS, too.