Rather than use a couple of 1TB WD red pros or Blacks, is it a good choice to run a ZFS root mirror on a couple of SSDs? I figure I'd only need 250MB or so, all the data etc will be on spinning drives in a raidZ-something array, the root system - apart from swap, will be pretty static read-mostly

So I'm considering running a couple of Samsung 250GB SSDs, any thoughts or war stories before I go and buy them? Is it better to stagger them in terms of age, or different brands/models so they don't both run out of writes at the same time?  Is this setting me up for a disaster in 3 years, or will it be predictable and easy to maintain?

I don't think there's any status monitoring software for them that would run on OI?