I have a Brother MFC-7360N  and an HL-C3290CDW.  Both have ethernet, but the 
driver packages from Brother only supply Linux, MacOS and Windows binaries to 
drive them.  This appears to be common  across all printer makers.   It's a 
significant obstacle to maintaining OI as a desktop system and a major barrier 
to adoption.  Not that I am deluded enough to think OI is growing.  But if we 
don't replace those who pass on, OI will die like so many others.  Replaced by  
marketshare and old age.
I've never had a reason to play with containers and zones, but my understanding 
is that one should be able to create a Linux print server instance into which 
the appropriate drivers can be installed such that normal system boot brings it 
up to service the printer.
Is my understanding of the Linux branded zone/container concept correct?
Reg

    On Sunday, September 20, 2026 at 11:01:48 AM CDT, John D Groenveld via 
openindiana-discuss <[email protected]> wrote:  
 
 What's the make/model of your printer?
John
[email protected]

_______________________________________________
openindiana-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://openindiana.org/mailman/listinfo/openindiana-discuss
  
_______________________________________________
openindiana-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://openindiana.org/mailman/listinfo/openindiana-discuss

Reply via email to