Hi all, Following up on my XFCE 4.20 build thread from a while back — I've since ported btop (the resource monitor, https://github.com/aristocratos/btop) to illumos/OpenIndiana. There was no illumos backend before this, so it's a new src/openindiana/btop_collect.cpp built from the FreeBSD backend as a starting template.
What's working: - CPU stats and load averages via kstat (cpu_stat) - Memory, including ZFS ARC accounting, via kstat + native swapctl(2) - Filesystem/disk enumeration via getmntent(3C), disk I/O via kstat_io_t - Network throughput via kstat (module "link", class "net") - Full process list via /proc/<pid>/psinfo enumeration (no kvm_* calls) Known limitations, documented upfront in the PR: - ZFS disk I/O isn't attributable per-dataset; it's all aggregated to the root mountpoint - Process command lines truncate around 80 characters (illumos's PRARGSZ limit on psinfo_t) - CPU temperature, frequency, and battery reporting are stubbed, not implemented PR is here: https://github.com/aristocratos/btop/pull/1845 — 41/41 CI checks passing, currently awaiting review/merge upstream. Development and testing so far has been in a VirtualBox VM (OpenIndiana Hipster 2026.04, GCC 14.3.0); I'm now working on a bare-metal test on an old Acer Aspire V5 laptop to shake out anything a VM wouldn't surface. If anyone wants to try it before it's merged, you can build the branch directly: git clone https://github.com/agorouvein-rgb/btop.git cd btop git checkout openindiana-support make PLATFORM=SunOS sudo make install (Needs an illumos-family OS with GCC 14+ and C++23 support.) Would appreciate any testing, feedback, or review — especially on hardware/configurations different from mine. Happy to answer questions about the port itself too. Thanks, Alex _______________________________________________ openindiana-discuss mailing list [email protected] https://openindiana.org/mailman/listinfo/openindiana-discuss
