Taking a quick look at the code it seems that the animation time for ball
updates is fixed at 40ms using a Timeline with a single KeyFrame.  So
25fps, half the refresh speed of any known desktop computer display.

brickbreaker/Config.java:40
    public static final Duration ANIMATION_TIME = Duration.millis(40);

 Since this is well below the monitor refresh rate, and I suspect it isn't
synced to the display refresh, you get ugly animation.

I flipped it to 20ms for a quick test and the animation is much smoother,
though there is still the occasional jitter due to not syncing with the
display.

I think a better implementation would use an AnimationTimer.  I believe
JavaFX tries to call them at the display refresh rate?

Scott