I made some tests already and I have to say it works really well. You can also
use custom JavaFX8 controls without any problem. I just saw some problems with
complex -fx-shape based paths. The performance improvements are really visible,
so Oracle did a good job here.
Because it's based on b97 you can also use lambdas, 3D and even Nashorn should
be useable (even if I did not tried yet).

Now it's really useful because you could easily use the same jar of your
application and let it run on the Pi without any modification.

Cheers,

Gerrit