On 7/24/2013 12:34 AM, Anthony Petrov wrote:
Hi Werner,

On 07/23/2013 03:19 PM, Werner Lehmann wrote:
On 23.07.2013 12:39, Artem Ananiev wrote:
To me, making a window non-resizable is a good way to make the window
unmaximizable. Do you see any cases, when a window should be resizable,
but not maximizable?

I create resizable modal dialogs on a frequent basis. To me, sizability
is a convenience for the user. At the same time, modal dialogs should
not be maximized. My opinion.

I don't agree. IMO, it's annoying when I'm able to resize a window
freely but unable to maximize it. This just doesn't look logical or
convenient.

+1

Unminimizable windows are annoying. If we disable that, we'll likely get
some weirdness, e.g. Win+M or Win+D on Windows will leave the window on
the desktop, which is not what users expect.

Minimizing a modal dialog does not achieve much because the owning
window is still blocked. Unless that window is minimized along. At least
Windows usually disables the window decoration buttons of the owning
window though.

Indeed. I was thinking about implementing the behavior that OS X
provides for native windows: if you iconify an owned modal dialog, its
owner gets iconified as well. This looks very convenient. We might try
to implement this in Glass for other platforms as well. Or
alternatively, we could provide an API to disable window iconification.

Modal dialogs are (or should be) used to get some input from user. Window closing confirmation is a good example. Application cannot proceed further, until it have the input, so it doesn't make sense to minimize the modal dialog and leave application in the "suspended" state.

Thanks,

Artem

--
best regards,