Felix,

As you are restricted in what you can say, that also restricts how I can help. However, your example of a spreadsheet not being a control that can be implemented in a scenegraph-based manner suggests that you might want to re-evaluate your assumptions. A spreadsheet would be able to be implemented in a scenegraph approach quite nicely - the TableView control comes quite close to that already (especially in JavaFX 8.0 where it can virtualise in both vertical and horizontal directions). In fact, I know of at least two spreadsheet implementations that already exist in JavaFX based on a scenegraph approach.

As I've said elsewhere, the issues you are facing are because of merging two approaches (retained and immediate modes) into one control. What you are hoping to do is have your cake and eat it too, which unfortunately I don't think will end up too well for you :-) My advice is to recheck your assumptions - the scenegraph approach, in my opinion, should suit your requirements far more than an immediate mode approach (given that your requirement is to reuse existing scenegraph-based controls).

I'm not sure why you think controls must be defined in a static, structured way. You could put all nodes of a control into a single Pane (or Region, etc) layout and layout all the nodes using absolute positioning. You can be as dynamic as you want to be.

Unfortunately, without more information I am really unable to give any further advice, but I wish you good luck in whichever approach you decide to take.

-- Jonathan