Thank you Rob,

DirectWrite is the engine JavaFX uses to produces glyph masks (white on black),
therefore JavaFX text should resemble that of DirectWrite (it is not exactly
the same, as JavaFX does its own color blending and gamma correction).

We decided to use DirectWrite for JavaFX because it is the most modern native
technology on Windows that we can use.
In particular, we were interested on sub pixel positioned text. GDI, for
example, all glyph positioning are expressed as integer, and glyphs are
(usually) aggressively hinted.

Interesting FIreFox had all the same trouble when they switched from GDI to
DirectWrite.
Please read
https://blog.mozilla.org/nattokirai/2011/08/11/directwrite-text-rendering-in-firefox-6/

JavaFX always uses DirectWrite natural mode rendering. We too can provided
switches for GDI Classic rendering mode, cleartype level, enhanced contrast,
gamma, etc.
It is all defined here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd371285(v=vs.85).aspx

Maybe that would help ?

Notes:
SWT uses GDI to render text (I know, I implemented it).
JavaFX with -Djavafx.text=t2k uses GDI to render LCD text,
SWT and JavaFX with -Djavafx.text=t2k are not same, but similar, likely again
because JavaFX does its own color blending and gamma correction.

Felipe