Originally it would complain about the resources being locked on every frame since they remained locked. More recently we installed a "report and forgive" mechanism that reports that the locks were outstanding (because that is a bug), but then it conditionally can either mark the resource as untrackable or it simply unlocks all of the locks. Either way, you should now only see the messages once since we either "fix" the problem or we mark it so that we don't complain on the next frame.

We use the "unlock all the locks" part of the mechanism if the render loop fielded an Exception from the rendering code. When an exception happens then it is very probably that some resources were left locked. Arguably though the code really should be doing try/finally around the locks to prevent locks even in the case of an exception, but it is very hard to do that in some cases given the chain of events that happens between the lock and unlock.

We use the "just mark it and stop complaining but leave it locked" part of the mechanism if there was no exception. It represents an unbalanced lock/unlock in the code or it may represent some code that wants to have a resource locked across multiple frames on purpose without registering it as such. If that code had a plan to eventually unlock the texture then there really is no leak, but it should have registered the resource as being locked long term and it didn't. If this a case of an unbalanced lock/unlock in our code, then the resource could very well leak, but eventually garbage collection may step in and reclaim the resource non-aggressively as well...

                        ...jim