> No, thanks for the hint. I just did and the behavior is a bit better in the
> sense that the sample start is not cut off on subsequent play invocations
> (behaves more or less line instantiating a new mediaplayer for each
> invocation, which is good) but when I loop using setCycleCount the sample
> start is also not clean (seams to be varying, though).
>
> For my uses case I will probably need both MediaPlayer and Audioclip, because
> I have typical cases for AudioClip (e.g. short notification sounds) and long
> looping background samples.
>
> Wow, I just discovered, that the behavior with the sample start sounding
> different on the first invocation also happens when I play the sample using
> the player integrated in Finder, so I owe you a big apology. I am sorry! I
> can also no longer reproduce the looping failure after my last reboot :-S.

No worries, these things just aren’t supposed to behave that way ;)

> Btw. the latency of AudioClip on the Mac (2012 MBP) is not quite low enough
> to implement something like a drum kit using the keyboard. I don't know if
> that is the benchmark you are after or if that is also a limitation of the
> hosting system. I need to test that with other applications. The latency I
> get with AudioClip is good enough for my current use case, though.

Yeah, the current AudioClip implementation actually uses the same engine as
MediaPlayer, just in a slightly different way. The biggest difference (aside
from the one-shot interface) is it caches all the audio data in memory. If you
use uncompressed audio (aiff) it will be a bit faster.

-DrD-