On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 10:50 PM, Scott Palmer <swpal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I seems like a decent compromise to defer to the native platform code that
> will ultimately be used to process the file anyway.  It seems a little
> heavy, but the alternative is perhaps bloating the JavaFX API.

Yes absolutely but ... (see my reply to David).

> It likely makes more sense to use the MediaInfo project with some JNA
> bindings (you can probably find either JNI or JNA bindings on the web) if
> you need access to the metadata:
> https://mediaarea.net/nn/MediaInfo

Yes, also agreed for real general-purpose metadata retrieval like in a
broadcast or media converter product, it does not make sense to kick off
such a huge project in Java, when there is already native code around for
that and we are doing that already in one of our products using JNI. I am
talking about the super-simple cases where I am fine with the (very
limited) format support of JavaFX and I just want to know duration, width
and height basically for those files and I do not want to ship native libs
with my cross-platform app which otherwise works well enough with pure
Java. I just don't see any technical reason to instantiate a player for
that in any native framework I know and it should not be necessary in
JavaFX IMHO. Of course I can wrap all that in my own library and probably
will and then the fact that a player is instantiated and then thrown away
is just an implementation detail, I just did not and still do not see why
this is necessary or sensible, which is why I asked.

> I keep thinking a pure java port of MediaInfo would be cool... but
> probably not worth the time :-)

Yes, I agree and it's doable but A LOT of work (if you want to have the
level of completeness and maturity of MediaInfo) and therefore not likely
to happen anytime soon.