I'm not surprised this causes problems, as it is almost certainly not thread-safe.

FWIW, this impl_ method is already inaccessible in JDK 9 because it returns a type that is not exported from the javafx.media module. Further, this methods will go away very soon as part of the ongoing encapsulation of all impl_ methods.

Can you file an RFE for a public API to do this? We can consider it for a future version of JavaFX.

-- Kevin

Chris Newland wrote:
Hi,

This is really just an FYI as I'm doing funky stuff with multiple
MediaPlayers and using the deprecated impl_getLatestFrame() method to grab
frames.

I can grab frames fine with a single MediaPlayer instance but when I use
multiple MediaPlayer objects each with an AnimationTimer calling this
code:

        public void snapshotVideo()
        {
                VideoDataBuffer buf = player.impl_getLatestFrame();

                if (buf != null)
                {
                        VideoFormat newFormat = VideoFormat.BGRA_PRE;
                        buf = buf.convertToFormat(newFormat);

                        ByteBuffer bb =
buf.getBufferForPlane(VideoDataBuffer.PACKED_FORMAT_PLANE);

                        int pixel = 0;

                        int max = bb.remaining() / 4;

                        for (int i = 0; i < max; i++)
                        {
                                rawFrameData[pixel++] = bb.getInt();
                        }

                        buf.releaseFrame();
                }
        }

then it crashes hard on OSX El Capitan with AMD Radeon HD 6970M with this
dump:
https://gist.github.com/chriswhocodes/5516d24078205dc218dead870853e018

I'm guessing the native frame conversion from YCbCr_422 to BGRA_PRE is not
thread-safe but some naive attempts to lock around this haven't solved the
problem.

This same code + videos works fine on a MacBook Pro with Intel Iris
graphics so it's a tiny hardware+OS corner case but thought it might be
worth a mention.

The only thing I'd add is that I'd love to have an official API for
grabbing single frames from video. I've been doing some cool real-time
video effects in JavaFX and it's a shame to have to use a deprecated
method which will probably go away.

Cheers,

Chris