I wanted to revive this discussion when I saw Java 9 has gotten
upgraded GStreamer in JEP-257.
Also Java 11 has an upgrade to GStreamer 1.14

The formats supported are very few:
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/10/docs/api/javafx/scene/media/package-summary.html

What does it take to implement support for these Video formats?
It cannot be a license problem because Java 10 already has x264 as the
Only supported video format.

Is there any work scheduled to improve on this in JavaFX?