It would be moving the platform-independent classes (ie the public API)
into the empty jars, leaving the platform-specific classes and binaries
where they are in the platform JARs. The service loader mechanism seems
suitable for tying the APi and platform modules together at runtime.

I don't think module-info is suited for dependency management. It has no
way to specify versions or platforms (or classifiers in general). Maven and
Gradle will still need that information to be able to resolve artifacts.

--
Sam Carlberg