On 9/19/18 10:27 AM, Kevin Rushforth wrote:
JavaFX does not use exclusive full-screen mode. It simulates full screen by using an undecorated window that is exactly the size of the screen. This means that pop-ups, such as those used by ComboBox and content menus, will continue to work (they use separate windows).

-- Kevin

Well, that kind of stinks.

Regarding the bug itself, I've figured out that it's a GTK3 bug as hinted on the bug report[1]. Switching to GTK2 via the suggested argument fixes the bug for me.

BTW, have you had a chance to read the other email I sent about the zip file causing a bugged JDK?

[1] https://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=JDK-8211007

On 9/19/2018 7:52 AM, Ty Young wrote:

On 9/19/18 8:01 AM, Kevin Rushforth wrote:
Thanks for reporting the issue. I see it in the bug system, and it should be transferred to the JDK project in JBS in a day or so.

I'm not sure I understand your question:

> (While i'm at it, does JavaFX *always* render the desktop even if a JavaFX application is fullscreen?)

What do you mean by "render the desktop" ?

-- Kevin

Typically when a game(or potentially any 3d application) is fullscreen, that game(or 3d application) has exclusive control and desktop elements(the desktop environment and the windows within) are no longer rendered. As a result, frame rate is increased, latency is reduced, and stuttering/jittering are reduced or non existent.

However, it's possible to "fake" fullscreen by using borderless windowed mode which does not provide the performance benefits of fullscreen while being 'fullscreen".

Basically what I'm asking is: Does JavaFX just disable window decorations(title bar/resize borders) and overlays the application over the OS's desktop or is it *truly* fullscreen?