I'm' not aware of anything that intentionally changed between FX in JDK 8 and FX 11, but my guess is that the FX runtime is being shutdown after your first FXCanvas exits. Try making the following call (only needed one time) before creating your first FXCanvas:

    Platform.setImplicitExit(false);

-- Kevin