On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 16:50:12 GMT, Ambarish Rapte <ara...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> I should add that it will depend on whether there are any regressions. One
>> thing we do need to be careful of is introducing regressions during rampdown.
>
> The fix looks good to me.
> After this change the steps needed for playing an `Animation` backwards will
> change.
> Earlier this was documented with `Animation.play()` API as below.
>
> -------------
> To play an `Animation` backwards from the end:
> animation.setRate(negative rate);
> animation.jumpTo(overall duration of animation);
> animation.play();
> -------------
>
> After this PR call to `jumpTo()` won't be needed here.
> So this PR may need a document change for `Animation.play()`.
> Also to note that the behavior of above mentioned three calls remains same
> with the changes in this change.

> If cycleCount is set to 2 does the animation play the same number of times
> with or without the jumpTo both before and after this change?

Before the change:
* With `jumpTo`: plays backwards 2 times.
* Without `jumpTo`: doesn't play no mater how many times you call `play()`.
Compare with the case where `cycleCount` is 1, in which case the first call
does nothing (moves the playing head to the start) and the second one plays
backwards.

After the change:
* With `jumpTo`: plays backwards 2 times.
* Without `jumpTo`: plays backwards 2 times.

> If the jumpTo isn't required, then this isn't this a change in behaviour?

Current code with `jumpTo` will behave the same. The question (which I
presented initially) is whether this behavior is considered a bug or not when
it comes to the initial state of an animation. It is certainly a bug when
`stop()` is called, so I assume it is similar for the initial state.