On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 22:41:26 GMT, Kevin Rushforth <k...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> @kevinrushforth Can you have a look at the test app? I would like to get
>> this moving so we would have time to get the
>> rest of the lighting enhancements into 15.
>
> I'll take a look. My quick thought is that we need some sort of test with a
> reasonable number of large boxes (so that
> it is fill-limited). If there isn't such a case, and the 3D rendering is
> always node-limited, then the shader
> performance doesn't really matter all that much. I suspect we should be able
> to find a case where it does, but we'll
> see.

I did some limited testing today with a modification to the test program you
attached to create a MeshView with 200
large quads (400 triangles) in a single node. This will eliminate the node
overhead. I can confirm that it is fill rate
limited, because when I send the exact same amount of data, but make the
triangles small, the frame rate goes up as
expected.

It sill looks like it isn't shader limited, though, at least on my Windows 10
machine, which has an Intel UHD Graphics
630. More testing is needed on other platforms. I'll share the mods to the test
program when I have time, but it's
basically just creating a set of quads on top of each other by reusing the same
4 points in each pair of faces.