JFXtras is split in many modules as well, the question is if it really is that
important to do. Splitting up in jars -so you don't need to include what is not
needed- is good, but whether they need to be modules...

The way I see it is that JPMS requires the same amount of effort as OSGi for
example, but does not provide the same functionality (most importantly class
load separation) and thus is simply less worthwhile. So either 'we' start
adding that last piece (I recently learned there is such a thing as JPMS
layers, which provides for that), or it probably will stay a Java core thing
only.

Regards, Tom