On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 08:17:50 GMT, Arun Joseph <ajos...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> After [JDK-8157900](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8157900),
> initializeThickness() moved from
> ScrollBarThemeImpl to ScrollBarWidget but the implementation was kept the
> same by using testSBRef to call
> setThickness() for setting ScrollBarTheme.thickness.  Modifying
> initializeThickness() to set ScrollBarTheme.thickness
> once and removing testSBRef.

While this might be the right fix, I don't think the evaluation is right. In
particular, this doesn't look related to
[JDK-8157900](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8157900). That
refactoring fix was behavior neutral in terms of
the object graph -- it uses an accessor pattern rather than the removed public
`impl_` methods for encapsulation, but
intentionally didn't change anything related to which instance of which objects
are used. That fix was not backported
to 8u and yet this bug is listed as affecting 8u.

So, what I'd like to see in the evaluation is a description of the root cause,
and a brief explanation of the fix.

Can you also provide a test case that fails without the fix and passes with the
fix? I don't see one in JBS that you
can leverage, so you may need to create one.