The interesting thing about you seeing :

I can see in the console this message:
CoreText note: Client requested name ".ArabicUIText-Regular", it will
get Times-Roman rather than the intended font. All system UI font
access should be through proper APIs such as
CTFontCreateUIFontForLanguage() or +[NSFont systemFontOfSize:].

Is that this message should be *prevented* by the very fix that I see as introducing the problem.
So I don't understand that at all.

So I think there are a few variables here.

1. The version of macOS

2. The version of Xcode / SDK used to create the build.
I am not sure what the version on Maven used but I'm sure its not the same
    version I am using.

3. The system locale as set by preferred language + region.
   What is this for you ?

-phil.