The "dynamic update performance" performance issue we are seeing is a regression from JDK-8090322. In this change the Node treeShowing property was introduced. The JDK-8090322 warns in its description about:

"""    Considerations:
* This is too expensive to calculate for all nodes by default. So the simplest way to provide it would be a special binding implementation or a util class. Where you create a instance and pass in the node you are interested in. It can then register listeners all the way up the tree and listen to what it needs. """

The above comment is warning against the fact that registering listeners for EACH Node on Window and Scene is going to be a performance issue. As nodes can number in the 1000's or 10.000's, that's a lot of listeners to store in a List data structure.

PR 185 targets this issue and implements the feature in JDK-8090322 in
the way that was suggested in the above comment, instead of how it currently is implemented (registering listeners for every Node, just in case someone needs the treeShowing property).

It's scope is not as broad as it would seem (because of a change in Node). It effectively only makes a small change in two controls (PopupWindow and ProgressIndicatorSkin).

--John