On Sat, 5 Dec 2020 11:33:46 GMT, Frederic Thevenet <ftheve...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

>> I hope to take a look at this, along with other pending reviews, early next
>> week. There is still some time to get this into 16 if we can find a robust
>> fix.
>

>> I hope to take a look at this, along with other pending reviews, early next
>> week. There is still some time to get this into 16 if we can find a robust
>> fix.
>
> That's great news, thanks!

I spent a bit of time looking at this. I think the root cause of the problem is
in ScrollPane itself. It is attempting to layout its children by doing a snap
to pixel (meaning that the final scaled translation should be an integer
value), but it is failing to do so. This is mostly not a problem when caching
is disabled, since our text rendering does sub-pixel antialiasing that looks
crisp even at non-integer boundaries. However, translating an already-rendered
image by a non-integer boundary will cause the blurriness we are seeing. There
is another issue with the Y translation which isn't 0 even when  not using a
ScrollPane.

I'll continue looking at this in the coming week.