On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 22:00:03 GMT, Kevin Rushforth <k...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> I've written a command line utility that runs through all the keyboard
>> layouts available in macOS 11.2.3 and generates a report on how this PR
>> would change the Java key codes for each layout. I used it to spot-check the
>> behavior on various layouts and to flag potential trouble spots (like
>> Lithuanian where digits are typed using a dead key.) I thought it would also
>> be useful for this review. For example, I can now say that with this PR
>> Meta-, (comma) will still be available on all layouts.
>>
>> If the report would be of interest where should I put it? Add it to this PR,
>> attach it to a comment in this thread, put it someplace public and link to
>> it?
>
> I guess it depends on how large the table is. Adding it as an inline table
> using markdown could be helpful, unless it is so large that it takes too long
> to scroll past it. In that case, I'd probably recommend attaching it to a
> comment in the PR.

I've attached a text document which details which Java key codes are lost and
gained for each keyboard layout compared to the pre-PR code. It also flags some
potential trouble spots with the word "Warning". Note that at the bottom of the
file there's a long list of layouts which are unchanged. I've added it as a
file to make it easier to diff against future versions if I need to tweak the
algorithm some more (here's hoping I don't).

With the latest code tweak the Java key codes A to Z are available on all
keyboards except Turkmen as there really is no way to type 'X' on that layout.
The key codes Digit0 to Digit9 are available on all keyboards except Lithuanian
where the digits require a dead-key to type.

[GainsAndLosses.txt](https://github.com/openjdk/jfx/files/6207211/GainsAndLosses.txt)