I am among the younger people here on the mailing lists (at least I think so)
and I can very much relate to what Michael suggests. So here is my personal
answer to the _why_ question:

Mailing lists create an enormous barrier to external devs like myself who are
willing to contribute:
* Signing up to a means of the 80s feels just strange
* Signing up to _any_ additional tool is deterring (same holds true for JBS),
especially when you're used to low-threshold contributions to other projects
can be
* Therefore, signing up feels like a liability that you may not want to commit
to, if you merely want to express your support for a single comment
* It can be hard to find the correct mailing list for the topic you want to
discuss
* You'll
   * either receive digests and miss a topic you're interested in
   * or dozens of additional mails each day, alienating people who just want to
follow specific discussions
* No proper formatting
* No proper linking to code, issues, PRs, ...
* Hard to track diverging discussions
* Very hard to search - I basically need to use Google and restrict the search
to some mail archive
* Linking to different topics means you need to either quote the whole thing or
link to an archive

On the other hand I see one important argument against GitHub Discussions: We
have no control over how Discussions will change in the future. Even if they
seem suitable today, we can't tell if it may be necessary to switch to yet
another tool in 5 years. Each time you switch, you strip connections to
discussions that took place on the previous platform. Switching tools always
comes with a commitment to it and bears this risk.

That said, I agree that this may not be something for OpenJFX to decide for its
own. Maybe this discussion belongs on the skara mailing list (did I mention
that it's hard to find the right mailing list, a topic belongs to?)
Furthermore, changing a process is never easy and will scare people used to the
status quo, especially when they've grown familiar with the old process over
decades. I've seen this in companies many times. If there is no pressure to
change, better tooling is not a strong enough argument to change processes.