In my case (1) it is a complex clipping shape that gets created based on an
initial rectangle from which the code „subtracts“ a list of ellipses (2). The
clip is set on paths so that their rendering stops before they enter the
ellipses.

—Dirk

(1) https://twitter.com/dlemmermann/status/1474059970857644032
<https://twitter.com/dlemmermann/status/1474059970857644032>