On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 18:32:19 GMT, Johan Vos <j...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Speaking of which, that is my main worry about this PR: we are increasing our
> dependency on Gradle by adding logic inside the build.gradle file.

You mean the 17-line `setFileTimestamps` method? I see that as the main issue,
as all the other changes are trivial or just clean-up tasks: removing incorrect
uses of tabs in Makefiles and finally fixing old `FIXME` notes, for example.

The `setFileTimestamps` method actually removes a dependency on Gradle by
setting the timestamps in a way that's consistent with the JDK itself, Apache
Maven, and even Apache Ant. I was reluctant to add it, but it's the best
solution I found to Kevin's review asking me **not** to use the hard-coded
timestamps implemented by Gradle.

As I implied in my message to the mailing list, this is the pull request that
frees us from Gradle.