I have a few questions that maybe some Prism/SceneGraph experts could help me with.

1) Are there any performance tests related to syncing the NGNode peers? Specifically, I'm interested if there are tests that compare the performance of "fresh" FX graphs that have never been displayed before, versus ones that have their peers already created.

2) Does prism code ever refer back to FX Nodes?  I've noticed that NGGroup imports javafx.scene.Node for one of its method signatures, but that seems to be a mistake; it can easily be changed to not require javafx.scene.Node.  Aside from several enums, constants and data classes (like Color) being re-used from the javafx side, it seems the NG Prism nodes are well encapsulated and that references are one way only (FX Nodes refer to NG Nodes via `peer`, but never the other way around).

3) How common is it to re-use FX Nodes that are no longer part of an active scene?  I've found myself that it is unwise to detach/recreate children in high performance controls that reuse cells -- it's often better to just hide cells that are not currently needed instead of removing them from the children list.

4) Are there any (major) performance implications to setting the NG peer to `null` when FX nodes are not part of an active sync cycle (ie, they have no Scene, or the Scene is not currently visible)?

My observations on the sync cycle (syncPeer/doUpdatePeer) is that it is highly optimized, and tries to avoid new allocations as much as possible.  However, this seems to come at a price: it leaks memory when not part of a sync cycle. Given a FX Node graph, that has been displayed at least once, a mirrored graph is created consisting of NGNodes. When such a FX Node graph is no longer displayed, any changes to it are no longer synced to the mirror.

This means that when I detach a small portion of the FX Node graph (let's say a single Node), and keep a reference to only that Node, that the FX graph can be GC'd. The corresponding NG Node graph however (which still hasn't been updated) can't be GC'd. The single detached FX Node has a peer, and this peer has a parent (and children), keeping not only the detached Node's peer in memory, but also all the other peers in the mirrored graph.

Notifying the NG mirrored graph of changes is not easy, as it must be done as part of the sync (locking is involved). Even a detached FX Node can't assume its peer can be modified without locking as it may still be used in an active rendering pass.

This leads me to believe that to move to a situation where peers are not being leaked would involve clearing peers as soon as FX nodes becomes detached from the sync cycle.

This has no doubt has performance implications, as peers would need to be recreated if nodes are re-used (see Q3).  However, not all data that is part of the peers is a problem, and code that simply clears its peer when detached could be optimized again to be more peformant (optimizing from a correctly working situation, instead of fixing problems working from an optimized situation that has memory leaks).

One way to optimize this may be to split the data that is tracked by peers in parts that are just direct copies of FX Node data, and parts that refer to parent/children.  The data that is just copies could be kept ("peerData") while the peer itself is nulled.  When the peer requires recreation, it is constructed as "new NGNode(peerData)".  Because the parent/child linkages are not part of `peerData`, it is no longer possible for large NG node trees to be kept in memory.  Recreation of NGNode would still require work, but these NGNodes are much smaller.

--John