.. all in all of course, I'd prefer a solution that properly fixes this bug
and not have to rely on hacks that are prone to break in the future or code
that needs to circumvent encapsulation or the module system. So either one
is unlikely to be a fix I'm happy with.

Thanks for considering submitting a PR to properly fix this issue!

Kind regards,