> The algorithm in `KeyCharacterCombination.match` relies on the call
> `Toolkit.getKeyCodeForChar` which is difficult to implement correctly. It
> defies the way most keyboard API’s work and no platform has got it right yet.
> In particular the Mac and Linux implementations have to resort to a
> brute-force approach which monitors keystrokes to learn the relationship
> between keys and characters.
>
> This PR introduces an alternative mechanism which directly asks the platform
> whether a given key can generate a specific character. It also allows the
> platform to attach identifying key information to each KeyEvent to make it
> easier to answer the question (much, much easier).
>
> This is mostly dumb plumbing. On the front-end there’s a new call
> `View.notifyKeyEx` that takes an additional platform-specific `hardwareCode`
> parameter. It also returns a boolean indicating whether the event was
> consumed or not so I can fix JDK-8087863. If you want to follow the path
> visit the files in this order:
>
>       View.java
>       GlassViewEventHandler.java
>       TKSceneListener.java
>       Scene.java
>
> The `KeyEvent` class has been expanded with an additional `hardwareCode`
> member that can only be accessed internally. See KeyEvent.java and
> KeyEventHelper.java.
>
> On the back-end `KeyCharacterCombination.match` calls a new routine
> `Toolkit.getKeyCanGenerateCharacter` which unpacks the `KeyEvent` information
> and sends it on to the Application. The default implementation falls back to
> the old `getKeyCodeForChar` call but platform specific Applications can send
> it on to the native glass code.
>
>       KeyCharacterCombination.java
>       Toolkit.java
>       QuantumToolkit.java
>       Application.java
>       GtkApplication.java
>
> The glass code can use the `hardwareCode` to answer the question directly. It
> also has enough information to fall back on the old `getKeyCodeForChar` logic
> while also enabling the keypad (a common complaint is that Ctrl+’+’ only
> works on the main keyboard and not the keypad, see JDK-8090275).
>
> This PR improves the situation for key events generated by keystrokes.
> Manually constructed key events won’t work any better or worse than they
> already do. Based on the bug database I don't think this is an issue.

Martin Fox has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
commit since the last revision:

  New Linux implementation of getKeyCanGenerateCharacter that is more performant
  and correctly handles the numeric keypad. Removed restrictions in the test app
  that are no longer relevant. Corrected some comments and other minor cleanup.

Changes:
  - all: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/694/files
  - new: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/694/files/bd1e4a02..5cd7e9a2

Webrevs: