On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 23:04:50 GMT, Scott Palmer <swpal...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Michael Strauß has refreshed the contents of this pull request, and previous
>> commits have been removed. Incremental views are not available.
>
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 3:00 PM Andy Goryachev ***@***.***>
> wrote:
>
>> In the context of adding theme support in javafx, I think this PR is a
>> step in the right direction. I also like a small set of
>> platform-independent properties like fg and bg colors. I wonder if the same
>> approach can be extended for other aspects of platform L&F, like fonts,
>> spacing, and may be other aspects (like, hiding scrollbars setting on Mac?)
>>
>> I agree with @kevinrushforth <https://github.com/kevinrushforth> - we'd
>> need more discussion on the actual implementation. There are a few items
>> that I feel are unnecessary, or might be done differently, and I'd like to
>> learn what other people think.
>>
>> Specifically:
>>
>>    1. Appearance enum seems unnecessary - there might be more choices in
>>    a specific platform (Mac Ventura has three: dark/light/auto).
>>

> Is it necessary for any application to know about "auto"?  Presumably when
> the mode automatically changes from one to the other there would be an
> event that should be handled, just as if the user changed the setting while
> the application was running.
>
> Scott
>
>> Message ID: ***@***.***>

@swpalmer @hjohn @andy-goryachev-oracle @kevinrushforth
I think that the [Preferences
API](https://gist.github.com/mstr2/9f46f92c98d3c86aa6a0b4224a9a6548) has
evolved quite well. There were quite some discussions on the mailing list, as
well as here on GitHub. Given that there haven't been new arguments in favor or
against this feature in a while, I'd like to wrap up the discussion on whether
we want this in JavaFX.

The main reason why I think this should go into core JavaFX is that it is
adding a useful feature that can only be reasonably provided by the native
windowing toolkits, and not by third-party libraries.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/1014#issuecomment-1514130844