Yeah, I’ve used Java/JVM a lot and I appreciate the platform independent
aspects.

I’ve heard Python people say that their app-design philosophy is to build most
of it in Python but drop down into C for the bits where they want to optimize
performance in the extreme. So they sacrifice some of the run-anywhere
convenience for that. I would use Python myself but the lack of a nicer type
system with generics drives me nuts, so I was hoping a similar technique would
be available in Java/JavaFX.

I hadn’t considered the gaming engines. I’ll take a look at those.

thanks,
Rob