Thanks Andy, the new link works. I read pages 33-36. Page 35 details the
two approaches: the dual caret you have described (which I had never seen
before in my life), and the single "jumping" caret, which is what I advised
to do. The document doesn't show, however, a direction indicator for the
caret based on the selected language, and I think that that's something
that should be shown.

Phil, I'm not sure how the split caret can tell a user on its own where the
text will appear. The user will have to look at which language is currently
selected to know which of the carets is the real indicator. That is, unless
I misunderstand how the split caret works.
The "why did it appear over there?" question is common in UI's that don't
handle the caret indication properly, for example when there is no visual
difference between the RTL and LTR carets (the direction indicator). A
jumping caret with a visual direction indicator solves 100% of the
ambiguity and the surprise factor without needing to look outside of the
text control to check which language is selected.

- Nir