On Mon, 14 Aug 2023 16:28:20 GMT, Martin Fox <m...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> A KeyCharacterCombination should match a key if the target character is
> printed on that key. For example, the user should be able to invoke the
> `Shortcut+'+' ` combination by holding down the Shortcut key and pressing a
> key that has '+' printed on it. This should work even if '+' is a shifted
> symbol but the user doesn't hold down the Shift key.
>
> The Mac implements KeyCharacterCombinations by monitoring keystrokes to
> discover the relationship between keys and characters. Currently the system
> only records the character the user typed and no other characters on the same
> key. This means a shortcut targeting a shifted character may not work until
> the user types that character using Shift so the system learns the
> relationship.
>
> This PR keeps the same mechanism in place but always records the shifted and
> unshifted character for each keystroke.
>
> For the Mac the KeyboardTest app was modified to remove tests for characters
> accessed using Option. We don't look for these characters because under the
> hood just about every key has some symbol assigned to the Option modifier
> that the user probably isn't even aware of. For these character we fall back
> to the existing logic; once the user types the character it will start
> working as a shortcut.

!! **This PR causes block-level problems in Japanese environment.**

When Japanese IME is turned on,
key input is ignored when Japanese IME is turned on after merging this PR.
We confirmed that the problem is not reproduced by reverting back to the code
before the correction of this PR.

@kevinrushforth @andy-goryachev-oracle

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/1209#issuecomment-1826401412