Good point.

-- Kevin

On 12/4/2023 9:24 AM, Johan Vos wrote:
Also, these commits often affect many files at once (in scattered locations), and that makes backports harder.

- Johan

On Mon, Dec 4, 2023 at 6:14 PM Kevin Rushforth <kevin.rushfo...@oracle.com> wrote:

    We did a few of these sort of cleanup fixes a year or so ago.

    In general, this sort of cleanup *might* be useful, but also
    causes some code churn and takes review cycles to ensure that
    there is no unintentional side effect.

    The last two might be OK cleanup tasks, but I wouldn't make them a
    high priority. Worth noting is that a seemingly redundant null
    check or instanceof check is not always a bad thing, so I wouldn't
    clean up all of them.

    The first group is the more interesting one. In some cases a
    potential null access can highlight actual bugs. However, I oppose
    any automated solution for these, since adding a null check where
    you don't expect a null (even if you IDE thinks it might be
    possible) can hide the root cause of a problem.

    We aren't going to enforce these, though, so you'll likely need to
    configure your IDE to be less picky.

    -- Kevin