On Sat, 2023-12-16 at 12:10 -0800, John Neffenger wrote:

> I would prefer not to have the tyranny of the project default
> replaced
> with a new tyranny of the app default. :-)
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to allow developers and end users to enable
> hinting
> for any JavaFX application just by defining a system property?

That is a good point. I had forgotten that most applications don't
allow the user to specify their own CSS.

What's the expected precedence? I assume it's:

* If the CSS specifies a setting, and the corresponding property isn't
  set, the CSS wins.
* If the property specifies a setting, and the CSS isn't set, the
  property wins.
* If the CSS specifies a setting, and the corresponding property
specifies a setting, the property wins.

> > Of course, I could always do both, as with the way font smoothing
> > is
> > right now (prism.lcdtext and -fx-font-smoothing-type: gray). :)
>
> Would you consider splitting it into two enhancement requests? The
> first
> could propose the global properties, and a second could allow the
> developer to set them node by node.

I'm pretty discouraged in the sense of getting things upstream. I've
watched the project turn away contributors for years now, sadly. I'll
definitely be implementing this in separate pieces, so the patches will
be available for consideration afterwards.

> It helps to go big with any "before" and "after" screenshots: 800
> percent minimum, 400 percent for a retina display, with "smoothing"
> disabled for the image zoom. If at all possible, do what you can to
> take
> the issue out of the realm of opinions, where it's often dismissed
> outright. For example, see
> <https://github.com/javafxports/openjdk-jfx/issues/229>.

I can definitely do this.

--