On Fri, 2 Feb 2024 18:43:19 GMT, Martin Fox <m...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> In the Mac glass code the presence of "marked" text (which is tracked in the
>> nsAttrBuffer) signals that an IME is active. In this state the current code
>> assumes that when NSTextInputContext handles a `keyDown:` it will either
>> generate a call to `insertText:replacementRange:` or one of the routines
>> that manipulates the marked (composed) text. But this bug shows that
>> sometimes the IME acts on the event without generating any calls back into
>> glass at all.
>>
>> In this PR the logic is simplified: if the NSTextInputContext handles the
>> `keyDown:` and there's marked (composed) text we don't generate a KeyEvent.
>> Otherwise we do. This PR removes the `shouldProcessKeyEvent` flag since it
>> no longer assumes we can catch callbacks to update it correctly.
>>
>> The existing code also assumes that the composition phase ends when the
>> NSTextInputContext calls `insertText:replacementRange` to commit the text.
>> This is true but if the user tries to use a dead-key sequence to generate a
>> non-existent character (like an accented 'q') the context will call
>> `insertText` twice while handling one key down event. In that case we can't
>> exit the composition mode upon seeing the first `insertText` call since it
>> will cause us to mis-handle the second one. This PR defers exiting
>> composition mode until the end of `keyDown:`.
>>
>> I also updated a few deprecated constants so this file no longer generates
>> compiler warnings.
>
> Martin Fox has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge
> or a rebase. The pull request now contains seven commits:
>
>  - Now handling ESC ending the composition state. Minor setEnabled cleanup.
>  - Merge remote-tracking branch 'upstream/master' into macimefixes
>  - When IM enabled state changes we dismiss the IM window.
>  - Merge remote-tracking branch 'upstream/master' into macimefixes
>  - Comment tweaks
>  - Merge remote-tracking branch 'upstream/master' into macimefixes
>  - Modified method of determing which keyDowns are sent as KeyEvents.

Two additions to the code. I was not handling the case where the keystroke
didn't commit text but did clear the marked text (getting us out of composition
mode). You can do this by repeatedly pressing ESC.

When the enabled state changes we shouldn't have any marked text but if we do
it should just be discarded. The old code was trying to deal with focusOwner
changes but that cleanup has to happen before the enabled state changes instead
of after (which is why finishInputMethodComposition exists).

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/1351#issuecomment-1924483704