On Wed, 15 May 2024 19:23:25 GMT, Nir Lisker <nlis...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Update the code review guidelines for JavaFX.
>>
>> The JavaFX
>> [CONTRIBUTING](https://github.com/kevinrushforth/jfx/blob/8332313-contributing/CONTRIBUTING.md)
>>  guidelines includes guidance for creating, reviewing, and integrating
>> changes to JavaFX, along with a pointer to a [Code Review
>> Policies](https://wiki.openjdk.org/display/OpenJFX/Code+Reviews) Wiki page.
>>
>> This PR updates these guidelines to improve the quality of reviews, with a
>> goal of improving JavaFX and decreasing the chance of introducing a serious
>> regression or other critical bug.
>>
>> The source branch has three commits:
>> 1. Converts the Code Review Policies Wiki page to a
>> [README-code-reviews.md](https://github.com/kevinrushforth/jfx/blob/8332313-contributing/README-code-reviews.md)
>>  file in the repo and updates hyperlinks to the new location.
>> 2. Update `README-code-reviews.md` with new guidelines
>> 3. Update `CONTRIBUTING.md` to highlight important requirements  (and minor
>> changes to `README-code-reviews.md`)
>>
>> Commit 1 is content neutral, so it might be helpful for reviewers to look at
>> the changes starting from the second commit.
>>
>> The updates are:
>>
>> * In the Overview section, add a list of items for Reviewers, PR authors,
>> and sponsoring Committers to verify prior to integration
>> * Create a "Guidelines for reviewing a PR" subsection of the Code review
>> policies section
>> * Create a "Before you integrate or sponsor a PR" subsection of the Code
>> review policies section
>> * Update the `CONTRIBUTING.md` page to highlight important requirements
>
> README-code-reviews.md line 66:
>
>> 64: * Focus first on substantive comments rather than stylistic comments
>> 65: * Consider the risk of regression
>> 66: * Consider any compatibility concerns
>
> This might be included in this point already, but one thing I sometimes miss
> is the inadvertent introduction of new API (that will have to be deprecated
> if missed). This can happen with `protected` methods, default `public`
> constructors (esp. if a non-API constructor is removed), or if a class is
> moved from a non-exported to an exported package (something that you can't
> see by looking at the area you're reviewing, you need to check the
> `module-info`, or more practically, look at the package names).

I was wondering if there ought to be an unofficial checklist for things to look
for?
As new people become "R"eviewers, I think there is a value in accumulating
collective wisdom in a checklist.  I like checklists.

> README-code-reviews.md line 68:
>
>> 66: * Consider any compatibility concerns
>> 67: * Check whether there is an automated test; if not, ask for one, if it
>> is feasible
>> 68: * Make sure that the PR has executed the GHA tests and that they all
>> pass; if they aren't being run, ask the PR author to enable GHA workflows
>
> These tests sometimes fail and we integrate anyway. I noticed that sometimes
> they need a few iterations to succeed. Are we really dependent on them?
>
> Edit: currently the Linux test is failing, and this PR can't be the reason.

or is it?  :-)

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/1455#discussion_r1602171862
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/1455#discussion_r1602172232