On Wed, 26 Jun 2024 11:25:37 GMT, Alexander Zvegintsev <azveg...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

> Most of the headful test failures on XWayland are due to screen capture is
> not working.
>
> Wayland, unlike X11, does not allow arbitrary applications to capture the
> screen contents directly.
> Instead, screen capture functionality is managed by the compositor, which can
> enforce stricter controls and permissions, requiring explicit user approval
> for screen capture operations.
>
> This issue is already resolved in OpenJDK ([base
> issue](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8280982), there are  subsequent
> fixes) by using the [ScreenCast XDG
> portal](https://flatpak.github.io/xdg-desktop-portal/docs/doc-org.freedesktop.portal.ScreenCast.html).
>
> The XDG ScreenCast portal is utilized for capturing screen data as it
> provides a secure and standardized method for applications to access screen
> content.
> Additionally, it allows for the reuse of user permissions without requiring
> repeated confirmations, streamlining the user experience and enhancing
> convenience.
>

> <hr>
>
> So this changeset is a copy of the OpenJDK fixes with the addition of the
> JavaFX customization.
> For ease of review, you can skip the changes in the first two commits:
> - First commit is a direct copy of files from OpenJDK
> - Second commit removes the `gtk-` prefix before the `gtk_...` and `g_...`
> function calls (in AWT all gtk functions are dynamically loaded, we don't
> need that in JavaFX).
>
> properties added:
>
> - `javafx.robot.screenshotMethod`, accepts `gtk`(existing gtk method) and
> `dbusScreencast`(added by this changeset, used by default for Wayland)
> - `javafx.robot.screenshotDebug` prints debug info if it is set to `true`
>
> <hr>
>
> What are the remaining issues?
>
> 1.
>
> After applying this fix, system tests will pass except for the
> `SwingNodeJDialogTest` test.
>
> This interop test calls `java.awt.Robot#getPixelColor` which internally
> `gtk->g_main_context_iteration(NULL, TRUE);` causes a blocking of javafx gtk
> loop, so the test hangs.
> So a change is required on OpenJDK side to fix this issue.
>
> 2.
>
> Even after solving the `#1`, the
> `SwingNodeJDialogTest.testNodeRemovalBeforeShow` case is still failing.
>
> 3.
>
> Internally the ScreenCast session keeps open for
> [2s](https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/d457609f700bbb1fed233f1a04501c995852e5ac/src/java.desktop/unix/classes/sun/awt/screencast/ScreencastHelper.java#L62).
> This is to reduce overhead in case of frequent consecutive screen captures.
>
> There is a crash when an AWT ScreenCast session overlaps with the FX
> ScreenCast session.  E.g.  `java.awt.Robot#getPixelColor()` and `jav...

modules/javafx.graphics/src/main/java/com/sun/glass/ui/gtk/screencast/ScreencastHelper.java
 line 220:

> 218:             throw new SecurityException(
> 219:                     "Screen Capture in the selected area was not allowed"
> 220:             );

@kevinrushforth
I think this SecurityException should be removed, as it is not mentioned in the
javadoc for the `getPixelColor` or `getScreenCapture`.  And we also do not want
to throw another runtime exception.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/1490#discussion_r1658303570