Andreas,

That was my thought: to use Arc to make this feature possible.  The best
route seems to be to extend LineString or MultiLineString, and use Arc
within that new class to build great circle arcs.  It would abstract the
arc generation away from the user, but, since it would extend LineString,
it would be easier to integrate that functionality with other parts of the
library.

Would it make sense to add Arc as an OpenLayers dependency for that purpose?

Michael