Le 07/06/2018 à 20:18, Mark Tilmes a écrit :

> LDAP list,

Hello Mark,

> I have been trying to figure out this problem for a few weeks, I have
> been reading the archives and searching google to no avail.
>

> We have a high load at the beginning of every minute due to automated
> processes authenticating.  During this time, authentications take from
> about 5 seconds to as much as 12 seconds.  I can even run an ldapwho
> command directly on the ldap server and see the slowness.
>
>  Looking at netstat, there are as many as 500 connections coming in to
> each server around that time.  The load has been processed within 20
> seconds.
>

> Here is some info on what I am running:
>
> RHEL 6.9 os
>
> Openldap 2.4.40 from the RHEL rpm

I think the first thing to answer is: you are running an old version,
please upgrade. You can stay on RHEL 6.9 if you need to, but you should
use a recent version of OpenLDAP, for example with LTB packages:
https://ltb-project.org/documentation/openldap-rpm

> These systems have 16 cpu’s but they are ~90% idle.  The ldap database
> is on mdb, it is 52M.  There are 3657 entries.
>

> The systems have 32G of memory each, after buffers and cache, 12G is
> free.  I think just about everything this system does for disk is
> cached in memory.
>
> The only other thing running on these servers is dns and ntp, but when
> we turn those off, we still see the slowness.
>
> See below for my openldap configuration.
>

> I am trying to figure out if this is an unreasonable load for these
> servers and I just need more servers, or if there is some tuning I can
> do to help with this?
>

> When I look at cn=threads,cn=monitor I see active threads go up to 16
> and pending threads go up to 127 or so.
>
> I increased threads but saw a similar result, all threads are active,
> many are still pending.
>
> When increasing threads to 128, I ended up with this error message:
>
> mdb_opinfo_get: err MDB_READERS_FULL: Environment maxreaders limit
> reached(-30790)
>
> I'm not sure what I can do about that.
>
> I'm also not sure if I also need to increase listener threads?  Seems
> like not since the threads are all active during the traffic burst.
>

> We have 4 ldap servers, one handles writes and then syncs to the other
> 3, so there are no writes on the other 3, and very few writes on the
> master, just when we add users or change group memberships which is
> infrequent, just a few times a month.
>

> Any advice is appreciated.

You are using mdb backend but it is not loaded in cn=modules. Did you
recompile slapd to have mdb in slapd binary?

MDB backend is very performant by default, but you can tune it with some
options like maxreaders or envflags.

--
Clément Oudot | Identity Solutions Manager

clement.ou...@worteks.com

Worteks | https://www.worteks.com