--On Thursday, April 15, 2021 8:58 PM +0200 Hans van Zijst <h...@woefdram.nl> wrote:

On 15-04-2021 19:09, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

A few notes:

A) the "backend meta" directive is not needed.  There's only one use
case for a "backend" statement at this time that I'm aware of, for
back-mdb, and only in OpenLDAP 2.5 or later.

B) You don't show that you loaded the back_meta module via moduleload.

I did mention it in the line above that, but for clarity's sake I should
have included the olcLoadModule for back_meta.la too: I made two almost
identical LDIF files and loaded them separately. Brevity isn't always a
good idea :)

It looks like the meta backend is loaded; this is what I find in
/etc/ldap/slapd.d/cn=config/cn=module{0}.ldif

dn: cn=module{0}
objectClass: olcModuleList
cn: module{0}
olcModulePath: /usr/lib/ldap
olcModuleLoad: {0}back_mdb
olcModuleLoad: {1}back_ldap.la
olcModuleLoad: {2}back_meta.la
structuralObjectClass: olcModuleList

But I notice that I only have the file cn=module{0}.ldif, and I would
expect to also find the directory cn=module{0}, am I correct?

No, it's an entry not a directory. Is there a back_meta.la file in /usr/lib/ldap ?

backend definition and start the proxybackend.conf with "database meta",
I get this error when I run slaptest:

  Unrecognized database type (meta)
  6078774c proxybackend.conf: line 1: <database> failed init (meta)
  slaptest: bad configuration directory!

I would suggest you run slapd -d -1 and see what the full debug output is and any errors.

How do I make sure those two backend definitions are actually loaded? If
I feed the two LDIF files that load the backends, I get the message:

  modifying entry "cn=module{0},cn=config"

and if I try to load them again, I get the error:

  modifying entry "cn=module{0},cn=config"
  ldap_modify: Type or value exists (20)
      additional info: modify/add: olcModuleLoad: value #0 already exists

That, to me, suggests that they're actually loaded, if if wasn't for the
slaptest error message that says it doesn't know about a meta database.

That tells you nothing about whether or not they're loaded. It says you're trying to add a duplicate value to the entry, which is the correct error for that scenario. ;)

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Product Architect