--On Friday, April 23, 2021 12:31 PM -0700 Scott Classen <sclas...@lbl.gov> wrote:

Is it possible to specify an alternate openssl?

The default openssl that is distributed with CentOS7 is 1.0.2 which is
too old. I have installed 1.1.1g from the epel repository so I have these
packages available:

openssl.x86_64                          1:1.0.2k-21.el7_9
@updates  openssl-devel.x86_64                    1:1.0.2k-21.el7_9
@updates  openssl-libs.x86_64                     1:1.0.2k-21.el7_9
@updates  openssl11.x86_64                        1:1.1.1g-3.el7
@epel     openssl11-devel.x86_64                  1:1.1.1g-3.el7
@epel     openssl11-libs.x86_64                   1:1.1.1g-3.el7
@epel

But I'm not sure how to specify this during configure.

What path is the alternate OpenSSL installed into? I'd suggest uninstalling openssl-devel.x86_64 so it's not picked up, and then ensure your build flags are set appropriately.

For example, assuming openssl11 was installed into /usr/local:

LD_FLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib
CPP_FLAGS=-I/usr/local/include

etc

Regards,
Quanah