--On Monday, August 16, 2021 9:07 PM +0000 petteri.sten...@ubisecure.com wrote:

Hello,

We have experienced a similar issue. Unfortunately we too have a
confidential dataset we cannot share.

Our dataset started slowing down at about 1.7m entries. With
slapcat/slapadd tools I can reliably reproduce the issue:

- first I add about 1.7m entries with slapadd to an empty mdb database
- I test with a search operation that returns a single entry and it
performs as expected, about 0.06s - next I add a single entry with slapadd
- after this the exactly same search operation that returns a single
entry slows down significantly, about 1.37s

With the new idlexp parameter set to for example value 17 this slow down
issue no longer happens with our dataset.

I don't understand idlexp parameter well enough. My fear is that idlexp
tuning is not actually fixing this issue, instead the issue is simply
postponed.

If setting idlexp fixed it, then the issue was that one additional entry caused the index to collapse to a range with the default idlexp value, which is why changing the setting had an effect since it would stop it from being a range at the higher idlexp value.

I added documentation as to what the idlexp command does to the admin guide for OpenLDAP 2.5.6. You may want to read it, it applies to OpenLDAP 2.4 as well.

<https://www.openldap.org/doc/admin25/slapdconf2.html#MDB%20Database%20Directives>

Section 5.2.6.1

--Quanah

--