Brian,

the installation procedure (if you forget of all 3th party requirements) is
as simple as the following:

donwload openmeetings-package (you can download it into your home-directory)
unzip it
cd /openmeetings-package/webapps/openmeetings/conf and configure the
hibernate.cfg.xml
cd up again to  /openmeetings-package/
run the red5.sh

that is all!

no copy of any dirs, no /etc/init.d/, ^^
In doubt see what is written down in here:
http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/wiki/InstallationOpenMeetings
There is no mention of any init.d-script or other copy actions.

Sebastian