On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 9:30 AM, John Gisler <pcm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I actually manipulated motion to use my Logitech 9000 as a v4l2 device.
>
> There was information on that link I sent on how to do it.
>
> John-

John,

Can you please provide more information about how you used the Motion
software to get flash to recognize your Logitech camera? I forwarded the
information you sent to a motion developer in their irc channel on Freenode
and they were quite perplexed as to what you might have meant. The log
follows. Thanks!

<brian_> I have been told that motion can help me get Flash to recognize my
Logitech QuickCam
<brian_> by getting motion to use it as a v4l2 device..
<brian_> i'm not really clear on how this would work. please advise. thank
you
<fatherted> i can't imagine what motion would have to do with flash.
<brian_> flash doesn't recognize the webcam, skype does. some issue with
flash. anyways, the question is, is there some way to get motion into the
loop?
<brian_> sorry if this is completely irrelevant, but this is what I was told
on the openmeetings mailing list
<brian_> "Motion is an application on CentOS that I use to redirect the
camera." "I actually manipulated motion to use my Logitech 9000 as a v4l2
device."
<fatherted> well, motion uses v4l2 to access video devices.  but, any
program can use a v4l device.
<fatherted> and if motion has it open, nobody else could normally use it.
<brian_> right. what do you suppose he meant by "redirect the camera" ?
<fatherted> i think someone gave you confused advice.
<fatherted> motion can output in flash format, i believe.
<fatherted> but, that's a .swf file.
<fatherted> what do you really want to do with your camera?
<brian_> i just want flash to be able to autodetect it
<brian_> skype sees it, flash doesnt. i don't really know why
<fatherted> i don't think that motion is going to be useful to you for that.
<brian_> ok. thank you
<fatherted> motion is a program for monitoring cameras and recording frames
with motion in them.