And we progress. Apparently I did not install the all of the LDAP bits
Centos requires. I had the base openldap RPM installed, but needed
also:

openldap-2.3.43-3.el5
python-ldap-2.2.0-2.1
ldapjdk-4.18-2jpp.3.el5
compat-openldap-2.3.43_2.2.29-3.el5
compat-openldap-2.3.43_2.2.29-3.el5
nss_ldap-253-22.el5_4
php-ldap-5.1.6-24.el5_4.5
nss_ldap-253-22.el5_4
openldap-clients-2.3.43-3.el5
openldap-2.3.43-3.el5

(The duplicates indicate both the 32-bit and 64-bit RPMS are
installed.)

Now I have a similar issue to the other poster who gets an error on
the first login, but the second login works fine.

Also, is there a configuration line I am missing to make it
recursively search from the starting DN? For example, I would like to
have it search all of the OUs under OU=Locations, OU=Company, OU=Com.