hi,

*I think then that this behaviour should be switchable in config: having a
parameter that decides weither or not OM falls back to internal DB auth if
Ldap is offline.*

=> adding this param is no problem, you can also make it slightly different:
Still populate the password but if the user has turned off the LDAP Feature
you set the user to status *disabled*. Disabled users are not able to login
via the User-Database of OM.

Sebastian

http://openmeetings.googlecode.com
http://www.laszlo-forum.de